Monday, December 30, 2013

1 Month Down

Wednesday will mark our 1 month anniversary of Daddy's departure.  Gosh, we miss him, but truthfully, it has flown by.  The Holiday's kind of helped with that :)

So, Daddy (and anyone else interested), here is what you missed...

House Projects

I have tried to do some house projects during the days, especially since we have not been doing school work...  

One morning, I drug the lawn-mow-mow and leaf picker upper (thanks for insisting we buy that thing) to gather the leaves under the dogwoods.  Of course, the kids thought this was great!


Mr. E accidentally broke the silverware drawer, which required an hour long trip to the hardware store, followed by a nutritious pizza meal while I tried to reassemble the drawer...


... followed by the admission that I merely bandaged the problem... Dear Hobbit Man, I saved all the pieces for you to fix correctly upon your return :)


But, for now, you can pull the drawer out and use it, just be gentle! P.S.  TW organized the drawer while putting dishes away... this is much better looking than when Smaug puts the dishes away ;)


I count it a major accomplishment to paint with the kids running around me.  Very often, I find myself either 1) shouting at people to stop running (I have to shout because, by the time anything passes my lips, the runners are two or three rooms away) 2) trying not to fall off my perch or 3) hissing under my breath (or, sometimes on top of my breath) because I just painted something I shouldn't have.

Here you can see "Beacon Yellow" in the kitchen.  


I covered up the blank phone plate with these little chalk thingys (they read "faith", "hope", "love").


After another trip to the store, I found a "hotel lock" for the door so Smaug has to work a bit harder to bust out!


And, I got the correct light switch and replaced it.  However, and I know this will drive you nuts, Dear Hobbit Man, (hmm, that's long, let's go with DHM) both switches are in the down position when the lights are on... so, there is another project for you!


It took about an hour and a half at Hobby Lobby with the kids, but we managed to find all the letters for this sign (we dropped the f somewhere and had to go back to the wood aisle).  Then I had a fight with the paint and didn't like the white I originally had, then I couldn't figure out how to get the letters on the wall without adding 9+ holes to my wall.  So, I repurposed one of the old cabinet rails with the last of my hot glue gun glue and only put 2 holes in the wall!!! Anyway, Berry proudly points at this and "reads" Fresh Eggs ;)


Oh, and Smaug picked this out... he likes to say "chicken, up there" while pointing!


Holiday Parties

We attended a book exchange party with our homeschool playgroup.  We also learned about Christmas celebration in other countries.  I think the kids had fun!


The very next day, we went to a cookie decorating shindig with DHM's work. 


I was seriously hoping that my kids did not break this hammock... fortunately, it started raining and we left, so the hammock was saved!


Christmas and A Surprise Visit

Well, DHM, you knew my parents were coming on a surprise visit (while keeping the details from me)... so, of course, we had to take them on a tour of our new home town.  We spent one day in St. Augustine.  We went into this really cool Presbyterian church... remind me to show it to you next time we go down together.  It was warm that day!


On Christmas Eve, we headed to Fort Clinch... it was not warm that day :)


They even had things decorated for a yummy Christmas dinner!


And, of course, we had to go see the ocean while we were there... we only brought home about 20 shells this time and no one was wet!


And, we celebrated Christmas!  DHM got to be here for this via Skype... the wonders of modern technology!




Other than that, we have been pretty unproductive :)  We love you DHM!!!

In Other News:  I was cutting back some honeysuckle today with my awesome new pruners (thanks G-Mac)... and guess what... I did NOT see a snake this time!!!  But, I did spend about 5 minutes of the hour I was out there looking for him just in case!  We did see a snake, one of those black non-venomous ones, but he was "high" tailing it away from us and he was no where near where I was working, so it's all good.




No comments:

Post a Comment