Friday, June 20, 2014

Book Review

A few weeks ago, I received and read, Undetected by Dee Henderson.  I got this book in the mail for free from Bethany House just so I could review it :)

First off, a few months ago... or a year ago, I'm not sure, I read another book by Dee Henderson (Unspoken).  I enjoyed it, which is why I requested to review Undetected.  Both books have a strong, smart female character who aides and is aided by a strong, smart male character.  There's a problem (or multiple problems) to be solved and they both do it together, the female character usually struggles with her place in the world (to some extent) and the male, who is super sensitive to the feelings of women, guides her and eventually woos her.  I got about half way through this book before I realized that the main male character is the brother of the previous book.  Since brother number 3 is unattached, I fully expect another book!

Overall, if I would rate this book at 4 stars.  Let me start by saying, I enjoyed it.  I would recommend it.  I would probably read it again.  What really bothered me about this book was the man.  So, as I pondered what about this male figure bothered me I came up with a few ideas. 1) Strong, Christian male character in the Navy.  I married a Navy man, I know Christian's exist in the Navy, and they tend to gravitate towards one another as friends.  But this book has 3!  Three men, who are honorable and good.  Not to knock good guys, but all three in the Navy?  I guess, what I'm trying to say is that they seemed kind of cookie cutter.  2) Mature man.  Mature men are great.  However, and I say this in love because I am totally a hair up in the bun kinda girl, but this male lead- I guess I can tell you his name is Mark :)   I don't know, I just kind of wished he take down his hair and play a little.  Yes, Ms. Henderson has him throw a BBQ and act all relaxed, but it didn't seem real to me.  3) Super sensitive.  I understand Mark is a widower and therefore has more knowledge of the inner workings of a woman's mind (I say this with a snort, because I don't even understand the workings of woman's mind)... but, it was almost too sappy for me.  He was so patient and understanding and calm... and... So, what I decided was that the problem was probably not with the character at all, and I decided that it was probably more closely linked to the fact that this man (Mark) is not my type.  I can take sensitive, I can take mature, and well, I definitely take the Christian man.  But, I also decided, I need a man who cracks a smile and gets impatient and breaks his arm playing basketball (I love you J)... I need my man. I then decided I should stop comparing my sailor and this sailor, to love my man and just enjoy the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment