Saturday, July 24, 2010

Family Vacation Day 4

8:45 am This seems to be our start time! Originally we had toyed with the idea of driving to Wyoming because Jeremy has never been, but decided not to (too many more hours in the van). Instead we go to Hill City, SD. On the way there we stopped to see Needles Eye. Jeremy and Morgan climb rocks, I try not to picture them falling down, and dole out apple juice to the crew in the van.


















11:45 am we stopped in Hill City at the 1880 train depot. Morgan was in train heaven and told us about the water tower and the number 7 train. He picked out a train “laser” light/key chain and a train pencil sharpener. Jeremy found a train picture (of number 7) and we got a gift for our neighbor’s dog, Bowser. On our way out of town, Jeremy spots a winery, so we pull over and I feed the babies yogurt (yum). In between bites I scanned for sheep goat, which, according to the big yellow sign, should be here… no luck.






12:00 pm We arrived in Keystone, SD, which Jeremy remembers visiting as a kid. We walked around, saw a lot of (tourist) shops, bought nothing and eventually left (well Morgan got a free train nail with his name hammered into it!). However, we did notice a lot of Model T Fords. Hmm… apparently the Model T Ford Club International had their 54th annual get-together in Rapid City this year… neat-o!


Next stop was Rapid City and the dinosaur park. As we drove, we wondered about the dark color of the clouds. Just as Jeremy and Morgan headed up the steps to the dinos (no stroller access here), we heard thunder. Before long, it was pouring and definitely in storm mode (don’t worry the boys made it back before the deluge began in earnest).












Since we were in town, we went back to Target… this time I bought a pair of jammie bottoms for me, a way-too-big-pair for Morgan (he had a mishap with his other pair), some paper towels and matches (don’t ask me where the lighter went, and those water-proof ones are a pain). As we headed out of town, we were hopeful that camp was still dry… the sky looked blue that direction. However, before we reach city (Rapid City) limits, the rain turned to pea-sized sleet… yuck! We hoped Mr. Beans wasn't too offended by the pelts… they sounded like they hurt and the ground is covered!



We made it back to Custer State Park (saw some buffalo, including a baby) and stopped at the big general store (under blue skies). While there, we found some more artwork, Jeremy wanted a piece. While deciding, the artist walked in, and Morgan said “I like your painting” and earns a free post-card type picture of his own! Jeremy and I narrowed our choices and had Morgan pick which one he liked the most (a foal and some Dalmatian puppies… apparently the Mama horse had broken her leg, so while she was at the horse-hospital (okay, that’s not what she said, but that’s what I gathered), the foal was lonely, so they put her with some Dalmatians for company, hence the picture)… I also ended up taking Blythe “shopping”… I picked up a stuffed moose (because it was so cute)… she smiled, grabbed it and stuck it in her mouth… SOLD, I said! Just as we were leaving we heard thunder. "Hmm, maybe we should get going so we can pick up camp before it rains"… we still had 20 minutes more to go!






We did make it, and got everything covered before the downpour began! We spent about 20 minutes or so in the (waterproof) tent. Once we surfaced, the sky was completely blue again, and the ground looked as if nothing had happened. We wiped down everything with Jeremy’s super-cool automobile drying rags! Dinner was simple, followed by another walk to the smaller general store. I ended up going back later to get ice and sweatshirts for the grownups (why didn’t I buy that one I liked at the mammoth site that was much cheaper?). While there Cheryl (the nice lady working there) warned me that rain was due again around 9pm (it was 7:45). I head back and we got Morgan settled with a bag of marshmallows while we tore down camp. I made the decision that we’d eat in Rapid City for breakfast, that way we could pack up the “kitchen”. We got everything packed except the tent and clothes, got Morgan and Ephraim (and myself) bathed and in bed. Morgan and I watched part of Up, but turned it off at 10, and then it started to thunder and rain. I’m not sure how long this went on, because I fell asleep (!)… however, I woke up to Miriam crying around 2 am… we had taken down the baby gate they slept in, so I wondered if Morgan had rolled into her. She ended up in bed with me… I must say, Blythe is much funner to sleep with; she’s not as much of a bed hog!



2 comments:

  1. Love it! Makes me believe that one day we can do a camping trip that Carolyn will enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your hair Ana!! Been reading your posts and love all of your comments!! Have a safe trip praying and thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete